Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Final thoughts

Well, I'm home now. It's weird going from 100 to 0. Everyday was so crazy, and now it's just like "now what?" I'm still not feeling great, but at least I didn't get sick on the trip!

I have to say, definitely one of the most fantastic experiences I've ever had the pleasure of attending. First off, shout out to my companions and fellow travelers. I'm not sure how it happened, but we were all like best friends from day 1. There were no cliques, no fighting, no couples (minus Jeff and Ariel, but she was a UEF student, so we still avoided any drama with that one), it was great! I miss them all already and we've only been gone for a few days. I think you could have put us in a Walmart, let alone an amazing country, and we would have had a good time. So far we're still staying in touch, which I'm really glad about because I had an amazing time with these guys. Some of the goofiest people I know, and couldn't have picked a better group to spend 2 weeks with.

Second was the fantastic people we had making this whole trip actually work, which I still think is an amazing thing to have pulled off. We're still sad Mike couldn't come, but Bryan made for an A+ replacement. Meeting him at the Rex in our suits will remain a highlight for me :P Also an excellent source of restaurant recommendations should you ever find you need one. 
Dr. Berman was such a valuable resource to have. The trip really wouldn't have been the same without that extra added perspective he offered in his occasional stories and relevant lectures. As I said before, I'm still amazed he does the trip, but am forever grateful he does! 
On the Vietnamese side, Ms. Loan (who I was remiss in not mentioning earlier) was such a huge part of making this trip actually work. She did so much for us and I am so grateful she was there to help manage us goofballs.

To anyone considering visiting Saigon- GO! It's amazing! You have to be willing to eat some interesting stuff, and sweat enough to fill a kiddie pool, but I promise it's worth it. The people are so hospitable, the food is amazing, the culture is beautiful, the history is fascinating. My only regret is that we didn't stay for longer and get to see more. I would have loved to have gotten to go to the Mekong Delta or Hanoi, but Ho Chi Minh City will always be one of my favorites. I learned so much, met so many great people I want to keep in touch with on the Vietnam side, made so many new friends to hang out with on the Pitt side, and had the adventure of a lifetime. 10/10 would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment